Well after a wee break and a chance to refocus, I figured out how I was going to fix things to the candle mats would work. I did try "stretching" the fabric to make it fit and then starching it rather well. It did work, however, I still knew that it was not the best I could have done. So I added another strip. Cut it 1", so once it was sewn in with the 1/4 seams, it would fill that 1/2" I was out.
Well this worked perfectly!!! I managed to get all 7 mats completed (tops anyway) and this weekend I will quilt them. I am still deciding if I am going to bind them or just pillowcase turn them. I do really like the looks of binding, but I also have a quilt for my daughter to make, and finish my husbands wall hanging (which will have a good deal of hand stitching), and a few bags to make. And yes I need all of this for Christmas.
On the bright side all the projects are easy....now if my 3 sweet wee ones would be oh so nice to let me get things done, things would go much faster!! But I can not pass up all those sweet cuddles and smiles and hugs!!
I will get the camera out tomorrow I hope to get some pictures taken!!